Friday, August 1, 2008

More Madden

I've logged about 7 games now.

I simply cannot play pass defense in this game. I guess your mileage is going to vary on this, but I rarely take control of DBs and the passes from the QB are SO much faster this year I don't see how someone could control a DB for the half a second it takes for a ten yard pass to reach its target. On a deep post, sure, I can switch and take the CB or FS and try to pick/swat a pass. But a normal play? No chance for me. Maybe some of you are supreme ball hawkers, but I'm not one of them. I like to pass rush, and play the DE or the OLB.

Another game against the AI with my DB reaction at 100 and my pass rush at 90 (sliders) and Aaron Rogers goes 24/28. One of those incompletions was a knockdown at the line, one was picked, and thew other two were dropped INTs. I cannot stop the AI from passing well unless I boost that INT slider and pick off 3-4 a game. I really dunno what the reaction time slider is doing, but the CPU WRs are pretty damn open and when they aren't the precision of the AI QB (even a moderate QB like Rogers) takes over. I've been playing Madden since there was a Madden and this is frustrating the beejeebers out of me.

As an aside: The added pass rush doesn't equate into more "rushed" throws. It simply means more sacks. That slider does in fact work.

The Human QB Accuracy slider isn't doing enough. Either that slider isn't doing anything or the QB ratings don't matter. One or the other. With the slider at 10 (out of 100) I see zero difference in the accuracy of my throws. The WR catch slider? Same thing. Mine's at zero right now and it doesn't phase my guys at all.

When I go into practice mode a few things stand out: first off the old adage that the Acc slider only affecting arm strength is no longer the case. Anderson is throwing rockets with it set at 0. And I'll run a play, say, 10 times, and on 2 of those plays, throws by Anderson will be off target -- only when I try to lead, though. A basic button press is always on target. The other 8 throws all look just fine. Does that seem right to you? With Accuracy at 0?

Not to get off on a personal rant/tangent but I really do not get the mindset behind the sliders. I have been saying this for a decade now -- if you add sliders make them extreme. If I put a WR catch slider at ZERO then I should see dropped passes every single series. We're talking a ZERO slider setting. Same with accuracy. A setting of 10 or even a 0 out of 100 should equate to a QB missing the broad side of a large red barn. We should see underthrows, overthrows, throws that are WAY off target. You are not going to see that in Madden.

There is another area where the lack of CPU sliders is hurting the gameplay -- and that's rushing the ball. I can bork my defense enough that the AI can run on me, that's not an issue. But me running? Whew, that is proving tough right now with Jamal Lewis. Even with the block setting at nearly 100 the defensive reaction time is CRAZY good. Holes that are wide open when I receive a handoff close ridiculously fast. Linebackers shoot gaps so fast that you are left with no chance at making a play. Maybe it's new learning curve but I'm netting about 2.5 a carry in about 7 games. And I don't want to boost that Break Tackle slider too much because it starts to look stupid..running over 3-4 guys per play. You know what would fix this? Well, aside from programming it so that LBers don't shoot the gaps like LT on a coke bender:

A CPU Rush Reaction slider. Ahem.

This weekend a buddy is coming over to test out some head to head games. Let's hope that gets the game back on track. I'm really not feeling it vs the AI right now.

Someone mentioned trying a game with the other team set to human and then changing it in game...it's worth a shot.

I'm also going to give Head Coach a spin over the weekend. More on that as I get a look at it.