Tuesday, August 19, 2008

GenCon 2008

So GenCon was fun. Actually, I should amend that. The after GenCon festivities with some of the dignitaries and community members from Gamers With Jobs was fun. Really fun. As in, these guys know how to stock a hotel bar and provide a metric ton of quality gaming entertainment. They also knew enough to let me win. A lot. But modesty prevents me from bragging further. (That and I know it was a fluke of epic proportions.)

What was GenCon itself like? It's cool, if you're a game geek. I mean, I really enjoyed walking the show floor and seeing what sorts of board games (new and old) are out there. I didn't sit in on any demos, but I picked up a game called A Touch of Evil that was from the guy who created Last Night on Earth. Haven't gotten to play it yet, but it's production value is top notch and I liked LNoE, so I figured it was worth a shot.

That said, the older I get the less I seem to handle being around a massive throng of other people. Even people as entertaining as the GenCon crowd. (There was a group wearing genuine-looking Mass Effect armor for crying out loud. How awesome would that be to have on Halloween?) Just makes me uncomfortable in the same sort of way Martin Blank (John Cusack) can't sit with his back to a window in Grosse Pointe Blank (a favorite that I re-watched last night). Not sure what that says about me, but it is what it is.

The highlight of the show itself was, without question, sitting through the Dragon Age demo a couple of times. It was about a half hour demo given to about two dozen people or so at a time. I'll write up another post about that a bit later, since they showed off quite a bit from the beginning of the game. (Probably the same demo they gave to E3 attendees, but it's still more than we've seen from the videos that have been circulating the Internet.) I'll also write up a post on some of the games I played Friday night with the GWJ crew (Gangster and Jamaica were the highlights).