Thursday, February 5, 2009

My Number Two Game for 2009

Dragon Age remains #1.

But a CLOSE 2nd is Blood Bowl. Yeah, The Show looks great, Diablo is coming out, the PS3 has some stuff and Empire Total War looks incredible.

But Blood Bowl has a special place in my heart. See, I used to be a BB FANATIC back in college. I painted the figs, bought hundreds of dollars worth of figs and paints and spent WAY too much time playing the game with my roomies. We had leagues, tourneys, fights broke out -- it was great.

I still have all my figs, and 2 copies of the game.

So when Cyanide said they were making a PC/Xbox Live Arcade version I was thrilled because Cyanide made Chaos League, a poor man's Blood Bowl of sorts that was damn fun on the PC a few years ago -- but this is an officially licensed BB game and we have not seen one of those since this back in '95:



It wasn't pretty -- even for 1995 and had very little custom options which is the heart of BB.

SO here comes Cyanide and they want to make BB--and I just interviwed a member of the team -- peppered him with as many questions as I could think of, and I'll post it on GS next week. But every answer made me smile. In short -- this is going to be a direct port of the board game complete with total customization, player experience, stats, money, dirty pool -- you name it. If you have never played BB get ready because it's a dream game if you like boardgames, sports, and fantasy. It's (the board game) an amazing game.

Plus it looks great.



So sign me up -- I hope it's as good as I think it will be.

4 comments:

newsreader said...

Bloodbowl was awesome. Friend of mine had the original (when GW made some board games but didn't realize they could go for gold with figures, so there with the cardboard standups for characters. Then when the revised version came out, I snagged that and later the expansion. Special ordered the referee miniature to stand on the sidelines (getting the stripes right was BRUTAL). Fielded a human team spiced up with star players, and let other guys in the league pick up the slack with the more oddball teams (orcs, undead and dark elves were most popular, if I recall correctly). Never kept up with it once the gang went separate ways and the game went to 'Living Rulebook' mode, though I know exactly where all my figs and the game set is.

I'm also looking forward to this (and, peripherally, mourning the cancellation of the Talisman game)...

bill abner said...

Ah yes the 1st edition cardboard stand-ups. White Dwarf had a lot of those in the mag if I recall.

I started playing 2nd edition back in 1990.

I spent WAY too much money on figs. That damn Dwarf steamroller. chainsaw gobbos..all of it.

Good times.

David "SirFozzie" Yellope said...

Hey Bill: Speaking as a fellow BB fanatic I still play online, while waiting for the Cyanide/Focus version of BB.

There's a site that's called FUMBBL (http://fumbbl.com) that has a Java client true to the rules (although the rules are Living Rulebook 4, not the most recent version 5), and they do leagues and all that kinda stuff.

So it passes the time between reading my old Blood Bowl books (including the GW-released fiction trilogy that became a four book series, as well as the recent comic book series that turned into a graphic nove)

If you ever want a game... :)

Jonah Falcon said...

Played Dragon Age at Comic Con NY today - it rocks. It's all sort of awesome.

Here's a writeup:

http://www.gamestooge.com/2009/02/06/comic-con-09-electronic-arts-dragon-age-origins-et-al/

GOTY 2009