Monday, July 28, 2008

Power Pros and OOTP

Today we have a quick write up on the Power Pros conference call. This call was ...less than thrilling. I loved Power Pros but this sounds like MOTS.

Also, Todd's review of OOTP 9 is up. I get the feeling Todd and I agree pretty much point to point but I was a bit tougher with the final grade.

My review of NCAA 2009 at Crispy Gamer was submitted early last week and still isn't up, so I'll post the link when it's live.

I ended up "frying" the game (The Crispy equivalent of "bad game") simply due to all of the problems that I reported here on the blog. In its current state I think it's a game that is simply impossible to recommend to serious college football fans. That doesn't mean you can't have fun with it; hell me, Todd, and Billy Baroo are about to start an online dynasty (fingers crossed it doesn't crash like my first try..). But with so many glitches and serious gameplay gaffes, it's hard to say anything but "wait for the patches." It's a tough pill asking $60 for that game.

6 comments:

Brandon said...

An A-? You taskmaster, you! ;)

Troy Goodfellow said...

So here's the 64k dollar question. If you have OOTP 8, is 9 worth the upgrade?

todd brakke said...

That's the only real question. The game is still absolute best of breed (hence the A-). But if you own OOTP8, what you get for your $40 is kind of questionable. I'm not saying it's definitely not worth it, but it depends on how much the new features really mean to you. You're certainly not going to lose out by sticking with OOTP8 for another year.

bill abner said...

Troy, post patch, yes, Pre patch, no.

So...I guess yes :)

srudoff said...

todd - good review, however no way can you count on the mod community for mlb rosters. unfortunately this isn't mvp2005 - the roster guys have blown it for the past 3 years.

todd brakke said...

Ack. Really? Every year I read about ongoing roster projects in the OOTP forums and there's usually a "beta" roster up on the tubes somewhere, but every year I end up running fictional players so I haven't paid attention to how the projects have turned out (or not turned out). Bad assumption on my part!