Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Well, Damn

So it looks like the runner/arm speed issue isn't as fixed as I'd hoped. I asked Mr. Brinkman on the call if we'd see more doubles rather than long singles and he assured me that this was much better in 2K8.

Well, I don't see it.

Here's what I mean, and many of us have been watching and playing baseball long enough to know how silly this is:

Bases empty, Marlins #2 hitter ia up. He laces a shot to left that hits just below the yellow line on the wall, it lands and rolls back toward Dunn, who scops it up and his momentum carries him to the wall, he turns to throw to 2nd, only to see the runner still at first, content with a single.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Unless the runner is the modern day Cecil Fielder, this is a double. It's RARE unless playing in Boston that a ball that reaches the wall results only in a single. Does it happen? Yeah, but the LFer better snatch the ball on the hop and make a great throw to have a chance to nail the guy.

This was a big issue with me in 2K7, and so far I've seen it twice in one game. Yeah, there are sliders that might help (they didn't last year) and because of this I'm scared that we'll see more of the station to station game we saw in 2K7. We'll see. When a fast runner doesn't score from 2nd on a single, we'll know there's trouble in 2K land.

On the plus side the new pitching UI is very cool and it's very pretty to look at.