Friday, March 14, 2008

MLB2k8 Fielding Cam

Just a quick note before my wife and I head out for dinner. I played a couple more games last night with the fielding cam (how on Earth did I not see that option?) set to Aerial. It's closer to what I'd like to see, but it's sort of a fixed camera position. I don't think (I have the memory of a fruit fly, so I'm not positive) it's completely stationary. Certainly, it swivels as needed and it might shift its position a small amount, but it's not a great view for infield action. It's also very difficult to see the ball, which is to scale and, thus, tiny (the tracking arrow thingy really doesn't help much in this view). So, it's an improvement (for me) over the default, but I'd love to see a more dynamic camera in a future edition that better balances the context of a situation (zoomed in more on infield plays and out more with better ball-to-player tracking on fly balls to the outfield) and is able to logically place itself on the field where it's going provide the best view of both the ball and the player moving to field it.

Also, this is starting to look like one of those rare sports games that actually improves as you play it. (Instead of vice-versa.) On first impression, it's a disaster. But as many others have found, if you can get past all the slop, it really appears that there's a good baseball game in there. I don't think it'll be good enough to warrant a $60 purchase (at least, not without a hell of a patch), but the pitching and hitting controls really do grow on you and, as stated before, there's a lot of variety in the field.