Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Realization

I realized something this week. I'm not a very big fan of 1960: The Making of the President, a boardgame that I originally enjoyed and was dying to play since it was first announced.

But the love is gone. See, this was made in part by the team that made Twilight Struggle, which is one of the better boardgames...ever. 1960 is no Twilight Struggle.

The game is about the 1960 Kennedy/Nixon election and cards are played that simulate certain events that happened during the year, but states are swayed so easily that it's hard to concentrate on a specific strategy. In our last game, I was Nixon and Mary was JFK and I ended up winning on the game's final turn when I somehow managed to win Alabama. As Nixon. Mary even asked me, "You sure we're doing this right?"

Nixon winning Bama in 1960 would be like Kerry taking Utah. No way. No how. Ever.

Anyway this isn't meant to be a full on review but suffice to say I doubt we play this one too much from here on out. With so many great 2-player games at our disposal: Twilight Struggle, C&C: Ancients, Hannibal, Hammer of the Scots and even lighter stuff like Lost Cities, I think the 1960 election has at last been resolved.