Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Friggin' Vista and More MLB

First off, I need to rebuild my PC to dual boot into XP. Vista is pointless as a gaming OS because so many games just don't support it. First there was Frontlines and now the new Dawn of War addon. Screw this. I'm going back to the old XP warhorse tonight. I may just screw the dual boot and just put XP back on it alone.

OK MLB...played another two games today and here's the deal. It's like last year in that you can see a really good game in there...somewhere. You need to slider tweak it because there are still issues with not being able to get a double on a ball that rolls to the wall, which is just completely moronic and I'd like to sit down with the 2K people and show them that when Griffey Jr. hits a ball that takes 4 bounces to reach the wall in right center that he should glide in with a stand up double and not get thrown out sliding into 2nd. That's just ridiculous. Why are the default setting the way they are? I have no answer.

Pitcher control is WAY too good out of the box and the power settings were left over from The Bigs. All of this is fixable via sliders, which is a pain, but at least the sliders do affect this stuff.

But I'm not kidding when I say that the stuttering is really, really annoying. On a pop up, infielders run in slow motion to catch the ball. The screen hiccups when the ball is thrown from 3rd to 1st. At times it looks really painful, like Mickey Mantle post hip replacements is playing CF. See, back with High Heat I knew the graphics, player models, and animations were 2nd rate but at least everything was smooth without any drastic stutterings and slow downs,. Here, it permeates throughout the entire game. I need to check the Wii version.

I can't wait to read Todd and Bill Harris' thoughts about this. Should be good for a laugh because I know Bill will blow a fuse when he sees the stuttering. It really is inexcusable and gives the entire game a "I am in constant Beta" feel to it.