Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Updates

Just by way of a quick update, I received MLB2k8 from Bill yesterday and I plan to dig into it tonight. If time permits I may post some impressions before bed, but more likely I'll write up some thoughts tomorrow morning.

Also, just to fill in a bit from yesterday, Cirrus had a cancerous condition called Lung-Digit Syndrome. A full body scan last Thursday confirmed the diagnosis. I guess it's pretty rare but it's known for having a large mass in the chest (near the heart and lungs) that metastasizes (?) to the paws. (I'm probably brutalizing this description.) It turns out her toe hadn't actually been broken back in January, rather the bone was dissolving, which explains why the paw never got better after the broken toe was removed. (Swelling in the paw had since started affecting one of her front paws as well and at that point you had to know something was horribly wrong.)

Anyway, we took her in Monday morning to be put to sleep. I'm not sure how it is for other pet owners, but I don't think the worst part for me was being there for that. It was hard, make no mistake, but walking back into the house afterwards was just brutal. The place just felt empty. And the little things, like picking up the blankets she'd been sleeping on and cleaning out her food bowl, that was just torturous. That's the way it goes, though, and this will be my last post about it. She was a good cat, the best I've had, and she handled the addition of two kids to our home better than I could've hoped (they don't all deal well with that sort of thing, I'm told). I'll miss her.

Tomorrow: MLB2k8 ranting!

4 comments:

bill abner said...

The pet thing is tough. When I had Paden put down it was one of the worst days of my life, and one that I just can't really talk about even today. They really are like family members in the truest sense.

I'm preparing for Sorrow, who like I said just turned 13. She spent the entire night 2 nights ago pacing and panting like she had run a marathon. Today she's fine, but old age is catching up.

todd brakke said...

Man, I don't like hearing that about Sorrow. I've only been around her a handful of times, but she's such a good dog. Hopefully it was just a bad night and you've nothing to worry about for awhile.

Amy said...

I just read your blog doing some research on the net. My own cat was very recently diagnosed with Lung Digit Syndrome. She is still with me currently, though under "hospice" care at the moment. I am a veterinarian, so basically diagnosed her myself. I am sad that i have been unable to help her more as i am sure that your veterinarian was saddened that they could not help your kitty more than they did. So sorry for your loss.

todd brakke said...

Amy, thanks for writing. Our vets (our regular one and one that subbed for her while she was gone for a week) were really great with us and with Cirrus. The sub even did the full body scan, the one that ended up confirming the diagnosis, for free.

I'm really sorry to hear that your cat is suffering from the same condition. I hope that when all is said and done that you're left with some really good memories of her. I wish you the very best during what I know must be a very difficult time.