Saturday, March 15, 2008

Dawn of War Wimpers; Best of Baseball

My review of the final Dawn of War addon is live. I love Warhammer, but this just doesn't cut it.

Anyway, GameShark starts its "Top Ten" lists next week. Basically, once a week we'll run down a 'best of' list on a different topic. It's an easy, (some would say cheap) feature but one thing I have learned doing this for so long -- people like lists. So we'll provided them a list of stuff. See...I aim to please.
I think whenever you start talking about "best of" lists you need to define what it is you are actually listing. When you see a Commodore 64 game on a Best Of list I don't think the writer really feels that the game stacks up with current generation products. So these lists inevitably turn into a "most influential" type of thing, which is fine. Personally, I look at it as "what was the most fun when I played it."

If I could play High Heat 2002 PC right now, today, (I can't on XP) I doubt it would measure up the same way. And that's ok. I'd still love the interface...but time and technology marches on. But High Heat will clearly make that list. BTW anyone remember the game pictured? True classic.

So The Top Ten Baseball Games will lead things off. We have planned features of the ten most aggravating gaming moments, the top ten games based on a movie, Troy Goodfellow is working on an Ancients list...so it will hopefully cover a wide array of topics.