Friday, April 17, 2009

Wrapping up the Week

As Bill noted, not much posting from us this week. I can only plead that it’s been a bit of a thing getting through the week. I’ll post more about that later, but suffice to say it’s not been a banner week.

I did finish Guitar Hero: Metallica. I really hated the last two tiers of songs; the last tier in particular. The game insulted the hell out of me by forcing me to drop to medium difficulty to finish some shit song from Slayer. Seriously, there has never been a song, going back to Guitar Hero 1, that I couldn’t at least finish on Hard. There’s something that’s just not right there. Either way, I’m relieved to be done with the game. I just don’t enjoy playing thrashy metal, which is what constituted the last 10-20 songs. I guess, not being angry at my dad, I just don’t get it. (To be fair, I don’t hate all those songs, but I sure as hell do hate playing them. It’s just not fun for me.) Anyway, the game is pure Guitar Hero, so if you don’t like that, don’t play the game. If you do, you’re fine. I’ll write a review soon that will give the game something in the C to B range. (Probably closer to a B, but we’ll see how the review comes out.)

The Wings beat up on Columbus last night in the first game of the first round of the playoffs. (Ha, Ha, Bill.) I’m glad the playoffs are here, but with the Wings there’s always a sense of trepidation about the first round. You know they should win. They know they should win. So the only thing you get from seeing them win games in that round is a profound sense of relief. I do have to say that Osgood was the balls last night. Absolutely on top of his game, which is of even greater relief after his lackluster regular season. That guy is always at his best in the playoffs, which explains why he’s the Wing’s franchise leader in playoff wins by a goalie, with something in the neighborhood of 60.

On Saturday I head to a buddy of mine’s barcade party, which basically means booze and lots and lots of Rock Band. How much I’m looking forward to just cutting loose for an evening I cannot put to words.

Finally, I sent in my credentials for E3 this week. I’ve been to the show four times before, but only once in the last ten years. It is a lot of work, but at the same time, it can be a hell of a lot of fun and it’ll be the first time since ‘98 that Bill and I have covered the show as part of the same team (as it were), so I’m really looking forward to that.

Have a good weekend, everyone!