Wednesday, April 22, 2009

On Blogging, E3, and My Gaming Blackout… Also, M Go Blog Excellence

One of the things that sucks about my style of blogging, in which I just document whatever the hell is stuck in my head at a given time, is that when I’m not at liberty to write about something, then I really have nothing whatsoever to say. So, I would be remiss if I didn’t point out the last week has, in fact, been an eventful one. Unfortunately, it’s not all good fodder for this blog. Well, it would be… if I were an anonymous blogger writing under an assumed name of a fake name behind a stolen identity. But I’m not, so I guess those epic tales of heroism and tragedy and stuff will go unwritten. Bummer.

That said, I am jazzed. I finally got my E3 press credentials request approved. You have to fill out a background check in triplicate, submit for retina scanning, endure a proctological exam and sacrifice a goat. It’s frigg’n complex, I tell you. At any rate, I’m approved, which was a huge relief. This morning I booked my flight and I am good to go. I’m truly excited about this, if you can’t tell. The only part I seem to be forgetting about is getting through the month of May. In the immortal words of Paladin in the first Wing Commander game, “Faith lad, that’ll be a challenge.” (I have no idea how that line just popped in there. We’re talking about a game I haven’t played since the days of the elder Bush.)

In terms of actual physical gaming, I have done none. Zilch. Zero. Like I said, it’s been a bit of a week. I also have to pen that Guitar Hero: Metallica review before Bill makes the trip from Columbus for the sole purpose of slapping me up the back of the noggin Jethro Gibbs style. He’s just the type to do it. But that’s okay. It won’t change the fact that in three round one playoff games the Wings have outscored his Blue Jackets 12-2. Outstanding. I’m just bummed I didn’t get to see the game last night (yes, after all my complaining yesterday)… stupid Vs. HD.

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn’t point out this post at M Go Blog. It’s not about anything in particular, just a commentary on the demise of the Ann Arbor News and the implications of it. Brian’s excellent writing always seems to be at its best when he’s waxing philosophic on stuff like this. I wanted to pull a quote here for a teaser, but the best stuff in it doesn’t work well as a pull quote, so just go check it out. It really is worth the read.

EDIT: Here's another link. This one about the Wings/Blue Jackets from IwoCPO at Abel to Yzerman. It's crass as hell, but damn is it funny (and true).