Sunday, April 12, 2009

Madden 10: Adaptive AI

Ian's new blog is up, discussing some of the AI patterns.

I think this is a good step, but I think we have heard similar things in the past -- not just re: Madden but the whole "the AI learns what you're doing" thing. (Liquid AI, anyone?)

However if this will really prevent money plays from being, well, money then I'm all for it. That said, it's a tightrope walk. Does this mean that if I call play X a few times in a row, then change it up and run play Y, will play Y be wide open? We have no way of knowing obviously, but programming AI has to be a real bitch. I don't envy that task.

What if we find a money play and only run it a few times per game? Will the AI know that it's coming?

Still, I think they need to do pre-snap AI. I've talked about this before (just a few days ago in fact) but the AI should know my PERSONNEL. It should know that I have a workhorse running back or a golden armed QB.

It should not only adapt to the plays and routes I am calling but also to the players who are performing them.

If I'm playing as the Browns (yes, glutton for punishment that I am) the defense should be all over Braylon Edwards. Right now he's the only real threat they have -- Winslow is gone. JJ is gone. Stallworth is headed to the pokey. The Browns #2 wideout is either Syndric freaking Steptoe or 80 year old David Patten.

Shouldn't the AI see this and cover Braylon (assuming he's NOT in fact traded to the Giants) with a safety nearly every play? I'm thinking yes.

Anyway, read the blog but for all that is good and holy on this Easter Sunday -- don't read the comments. When the first comment after a post about Adaptive AI is,
"Hey I want to know more on what are you going to do to the franchise and also superstar mode, and the accessories for the players, as in more team colors for the cleats."
You know you are in for a bumpy ride.