Friday, October 10, 2008

Hiding Under the Bed - Part 2

Well, given Bill's efforts to brighten our day, now seems an appropriate time to throw another log on the fire. Bill Harris, on his blog, has long talked about how good the This American Life podcast is. I never tuned in until I'd read about an episode, called "The Giant Pool of Money," from last spring that talked about the forthcoming mortgage crisis. It was fantastic. So, a couple weeks ago I finally broke down and added it to my iTunes subscription list. I've only listened to three episodes so far, but they've all been great.

But that's not the purpose of this post.

This past week, given the fact that market armageddon is evidently at hand, This American Life returned to the topic of our Wall St. meltdown with an episode appropriately titled, "Another Frightening Show About the Economy." This is the single best explanation for what's happening on Wall St. and how it's actually affecting the rest of us that I've read, watched or heard. (And I've been reading, watching and listening a lot these last few weeks.)

If you have an hour to kill, be sure to check it out. Then stock up on bottled water and canned goods. I've also been thinking of building a small rocket ship that I could put my kids on so that, when the planet explodes, I could send them to the safety of another world where they'll develop super strength and be able to fly.