Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Ricker Racker Firecracker Sis Boom Bah!

Bugs Bunny Bugs Bunny RAH RAH RAH!

I love that cartoon.

That song started to play in my head while I reading excerpts from the Peter Moore interview at the WSJ.

I guess I should care about this more than I do. I've pretty much resigned all sports game industry venom to the very capable hands/teeth of Bill Harris.

Bill still fights the good fight and he and I are pretty much of one mind when it comes to this part of the industry (so much so that at LEAST once a year we are confused as being either the same person, or someone mixes us up. It's pretty funny.) Hint: Bill is the smart one.

When it comes to sports games, I'm just tired. Exhausted to be honest about it. It took a long time to happen, but the malaise is here in full force.

I'm not even reviewing MLB 2K8 this year.

Todd is doing it for GameShark and I gave a Crispy Gamer freelance fee to another writer without as much as a whimper. I'll play MLB 2K8, most likely for about 2 weeks before I get bored to death with it. Trust me, it is better this way.

I didn't even get upset at all about the latest "extended" EA NFL deal. I just don't care anymore. Is that a bad thing? I mean, the publishers don't care about me -- or you -- so why should I get all mad about what they do? The games are all glossed over, over-produced fluffy pieces of pigeon droppings so what's to get mad about?

The kinds of sports games that I loved died about six or seven years ago; even games like OOTP are falling into the yearly release trap -- so I just have no interest in faking outrage at another EA exclusive licensing deal or another over-promised 2K sports game. Sorry. I've kicked the habit.

I want to be surprised by sports games again. And that’s my real beef. I’ve been playing the same games for far, far too long.

On the plus side Ashley is loving the Wii. Mario Party 8 and the new Hannah Montana game are huge hits with her and I'm so utterly hooked on Culdcept Saga (360) that the thought of quitting to play another early March release baseball game holds no interest to me whatsover.