Saturday, February 23, 2008

Belated Airing of Grievances

I've missed the past few Friday Bitch Posts, my apologies.

I'll try and make up for it by pilfering a notion from Steve Bauman's blog. Steve's a buddy of mine so I'm sure he won't mind. He's no longer my boss, so I really don't care.

I'm sick and tired of not being allowed to enjoy stuff. When Steve posted this on his blog it sorta pricked a side of my brain and made me realize just how accurate it is.

Was it always like this? Has the Internet made us all a bunch of anonymous, hide behind the keyboard "haters"? I'm not talking about criticism...me not liking MLB 2K7 isn't being a cynic, it's being honest. I'm talking about Guy A says he loves Movie/Game/Band/ X and Guy B calls him a hopeless twit.

It's the reason I rarely post on game forums anymore. I used to be a regular at places like Operation Sports, Qt3, -- and even old school haunts like Usenet. But the general discourse has gotten to the point where if you don't make at least one witty, cynical comment a day you're not cool enough to participate in the discussions.

It's like what Jack White said in an interview I read a while ago -- It's the cool thing nowadays not to have an opinion or if you tdo for it to be contrary.

I wonder if it's always been like that or if the 'net has just put a spotlight on it.

But it's frustrating.