Saturday, February 23, 2008

Belated Airing of Grievances

I've missed the past few Friday Bitch Posts, my apologies.

I'll try and make up for it by pilfering a notion from Steve Bauman's blog. Steve's a buddy of mine so I'm sure he won't mind. He's no longer my boss, so I really don't care.

I'm sick and tired of not being allowed to enjoy stuff. When Steve posted this on his blog it sorta pricked a side of my brain and made me realize just how accurate it is.

Was it always like this? Has the Internet made us all a bunch of anonymous, hide behind the keyboard "haters"? I'm not talking about criticism...me not liking MLB 2K7 isn't being a cynic, it's being honest. I'm talking about Guy A says he loves Movie/Game/Band/ X and Guy B calls him a hopeless twit.

It's the reason I rarely post on game forums anymore. I used to be a regular at places like Operation Sports, Qt3, -- and even old school haunts like Usenet. But the general discourse has gotten to the point where if you don't make at least one witty, cynical comment a day you're not cool enough to participate in the discussions.

It's like what Jack White said in an interview I read a while ago -- It's the cool thing nowadays not to have an opinion or if you tdo for it to be contrary.

I wonder if it's always been like that or if the 'net has just put a spotlight on it.

But it's frustrating.

3 comments:

Brandon said...

Personally, I think that the behaviour you're talking about has always been around, however the Internet has made it easier for people to indulge in it. Prior to the internet, the only way to express your opinion to another person was to do it either face to face or over the phone, but either way, if you call someone out for get pummeled. It's why I love the closing scenes of "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" when Jay and Silent Bob travel the country, punching out anyone who posted negative comments about their movies.

I for one say fuck the griefers. Say what you like, and if someone else calls you out on it, find out where they live and kick them in the balls.

Brandon said...

Stupid not being able to edit comment posts. What I meant to say was that whether you talked to someone on the phone, or face to face, if you called someone out on what they liked, at best you'd get hung up on, or at worst you'd get pummeled.

todd brakke said...

Gotta appreciate a timely Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back reference.

"Are you MagnoliaFan?"