Monday, February 4, 2008

1960, Sins, and and SPEED!

First off, my new Dell XPS is here. I have not fully upgraded my PC in about 5 years or so, and I also decided to have Vista installed, which I'm still learning how to use. I also went with the GeForce 8800. It's grossly fast.

And yes Vista, I WANT TO RUN THAT PROGRAM.

I'm bummed that Troy and Tom (Chick) both have review copies of Sins of a Solar Empire and mine is still in transit. I enjoyed the beta of that one and they are both raving about it. (Troy's version of raving is that he sorta likes it.) I want to get in on the fun and use my new Norad PC.

I'm also playing a rare 360 non sports game, Culdcept Saga. It's a roll and move board game mixed with Magic: The Gathering. Basically. With weird Japanese story dialogue. Fun, though.

Finally, I managed to read the rulebook for 1960: The Making of the President. I get it. It doesn't seem too difficult and I know Troy has played this on Vassal but man you need to get some face to face time with these games! Holding the cards and moving the pieces...that's half the fun. Anyway, 1960 reads like an easier version of Twilight Struggle, but since I love the theme I'm willing to give it a few runs. Nixon and Kennedy -- FIGHT!

Since this post reads like Troy 101, he's got a blog post to a GWJ article about a new version of RISK. Like Troy, I'm not a RISK guy.

But -- if you play one version of it, play the Star Wars Original Trilogy version. Totally, crazily fun.