Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"If You Have to Spew, Spew Into This"

Ah, Garth. The world misses your wit and wisdom.

Yes, it's been more than a week since my last post. I suck. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Usually when I slow down with the posting it coincides with me not gaming much, which has also been the case this time, although the fact that some kind of flu-type-thing has been making its way through the family has been a contributing factor. First it was my daughter, then son; Angie got a pretty good dose of it last week. I figured I had gotten through unscathed, even bragging to my dad on Monday (who came down for the weekend and then got hit with it on Monday) that I was simply much tougher than the rest of, "you weaklings." Bad move. It's like that video embed from The West Wing I posted on election night: I tempted the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing and then spent most of the next 24 hours bed-ridden, with the occasional mad dash to the great porcelain god to empty my stomach. Fun, fun, fun.

Fortunately, I'm feeling nearly three-dimensional today. Nearly.

On a side note, I've been plugging away at that John Adams biography I mentioned last week and it's fascinating stuff. (Still loving the Kindle, btw.) I really didn't know a thing about him going in, so learning about how he spent the bulk of the Revolutionary War in France and Holland and how critical that role was (OMG, the spoilerz!) was something of a surprise. I've just entered the post-war period in which he became a fledging America's first ambassador to Britain. The book doesn't specify, but I'm pretty sure the word "awkward" came into usage about the time Adams had his first audience with King George III.

George: Hey, aren't you one of those that wrote that I was a tyrant in your Declaration of Independence?
Adams: Who? Me? No, no, no. That was all Jefferson, I swear! He's a loose cannon, that guy. A bad seed.

Anyway, I'm only about half way through it, but if anyone's got some recommendations for some other biographies that are as good a read as this, please do let me know.