Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Hump Day

March Madness is out today. Even though Todd and I are both sports gamers this release, to me at least, is about as significant as a toenail trim. I have College Hoops, I like it, and there you go. I don't need to see this unless I hear a huge amount of buzz. Well, or if someone wants to pay me to review it. I'm not above getting paid to play March Madness. But EA knows what kind of game this is. Why do you think they don't care that it comes out weeks after CH2K8? If they cared about March Madness at all it would ship a day before 2K's game.

I have no idea if MM08 is good, bad or otherwise (EA stopped sending me games directly long ago) but I DO know a crappy game series when I play one. I think I'll let Todd review this one. It's my way of saying Happy Holidays.

I do have a question, though. When "GameZone" says, "What was once a very good franchise is starting to become a generic rehash with a few tweaks thrown in each year to sate the need to say something new was added. Yes, it is still entertaining, but it’s not the game one would have hoped it would be."

I am all for websites, popular ones at that, finally speaking out about sports games and the annual gouging of sheepish consumers--but March Madness was once a very good franchise? Does anyone recall when that was, exactly? I seem to remember this being a bottom feeder for about a decade now.

Anyway, my ankle is still in the old walking boot. Good times. We're putting together the GameShark Awards thingy. I despise, and I mean despise, end of the year awards like this, but they do generate a lot of traffic to the websites that run them and again I am not above rampant capitilism so I'm on board.

Looking back this really was a hell of a year for gamers. BioShock, Call of Duty 4, Rock Band, Mass Effect, The Witcher, High School Musical for the DS (wait..that's my daughter's favorite..)

We're also doing a Most Disappointing Games feature because they're a lot more fun to write. My list includes Jericho, Hellgate: London, and I'm also voting for All Pro Football 2K8 because it was half a game priced as a full one. Shame shame 2K.