Sunday, July 6, 2008

OSU Dynasty - Week 2 44-14

I started an OSU Dyntasy to get a feel for recruiting and to check some gameplan stuff.

I simmed Week 1 against the D1AA team and week 2 I edited to play Houston (a spread team)-- and then went in and made their playcalling 100% aggressive. I really dunno what that is supposed to do. Force more passes into coverage? More deep balls? I want to see if that makes the AI look downfield a bit more.

Well, it sorta worked. The AI went deep 4 times (all 4 about 20 yards downfield which is better than nothing) but two were in double coverage and picked off. The Houston QB isn't bad, but has a 70 AWR, so that not a surprising result. But the passes were real moonballs, no zip on them at all. Kinda strange.

Anyway some stats from the game:

Boeckman: 18/25 1177 3 TD 2 INT (one returned 80 yards for a score..doh)
Houston QB: 13/24 98 yds 0TD 3 INT

Wells: 22 for 128
Saine: 17/107 with a 48 yard score.
Houston TB: 13/39

I brought in Pryor late and he ran for a 30 yard TD on a play action fake. He's um...fast.

Anyway, 44-14 against the Cougs, I can certainly believe. I still think something is very much amiss with CPU deep passing and next week's showdown against USC will be a good test. You'd think they'd test the OSU DBs more than once.

Oh, one cool tidbit. The game was 44-7 until the final drive when I mass subbed the 2nd team D. Houston marched 55 yards for its only offensive TD of the game.

Recruiting looks about the same at first glance. Was the "quick call" option in last year's game? I can't remember.

I still think the database is weird. I just do not believe that FOUR players from South Carolina (2 5 star and 2 4 star) would have Ohio State #1 on their list before the season starts. That strikes me as odd seeing how OSU never (OK, rarely) recruits in SC. That is NOT Buckeye country. Ohio, MI, FL, PA, NJ, some CA, some TX, and now some GA of late -- those are the breeding grounds right now. On my board I have the 4 SC kids, a kid from AZ, a kid from WA, and a kid from MS with OSU #1. Hmm.

And I may be in the minority here, and it would not be the first time, but I still prefer the old recruiting method over the "year round" system. Is this more realistic? Yeah, I guess. But I liked doing it all in that 5 week span after the season. It was neat, clean, and I thought pretty darn fun. I feel the same way about 2K's College Hoops. It just drags on a bit for my taste.

But I have barely looked at recruiting, just a glance and a few weeks of calls, even though I did sign a 5 star RG out of Flint, MI by simply offering him a schollie.

Eat that, Blue.