Saturday, July 19, 2008

Drama Killer

I'm about to hit the road to drive down to my parents house for the weekend. I'm still kinda jet lag/groggy but I guess I'll survive. I'm tough like that.

I honestly have no idea what to do about NCAA at the moment, at least against the CPU. I'm teetering close to just shelving it and playing online dynasty, waiting for the gameplay patches that EA says it's working on. Thing is, if EA actually fixes what they propose to fix, NCAA 2009 will be an excellent game. Not perfect -- we're always going to have things to bitch about -- but fun.

I can get the game to behave pretty well right now. I can fix the super high CPU passing numbers via sliders, the run game is fun, I can Super Sim the dumb ass kick game, and generally have a good time playing.

What I can't do is make the game play smarter.

Today as my Ball State Dynasty continues to roll along, I play Toledo at the Glass Bowl. With the sliders I have set (and I'm still not sure which sliders are doing what at this point) I was hovering around 50% completions as was the CPU -- in fact the AI was just 10/23 for 97 yards at the half. So the idea that every game the CPU is at 70% and up just ain't true.

Side note: The sliders in this game are clearly the most strange of any game ever made. I have Passing Acc at 30 (or 35) but I can throw the ball 50 yards in the air, and yet my accuracy on short passes is obviously worse than when it's on 50. Now, go into practice mode, set Pass Acc to 30 and watch as you can barely throw it 40 yards.

Confusion reigns.

Anyway, it's 31-24 Ball State with under as minute to go. Toledo has it near midfield and it's 4th and 3. This is the game. A stop here and the Cards go to 5-2.

Toledo comes out in the I Formation. Odd..

The ball is snapped and the air is let out of the balloon as Toledo calls a QB sneak, which gets stoned at the line.

Game Over.

What the hell? Look, trying to catch a team off guard by calling a QB draw out of the shotgun, I could live with. Still a bad call as the Toledo QB is hardly Vince Young, but a QB sneak on 4th and 3 out of the Jumbo I?

These are things that simply cannot happen. There should be a ZERO percent chance of the AI calling that play in that situation. But it did. I won. And I was pretty ho hum about it.

The madness continues. See you Sunday night.