Friday, July 11, 2008

Mr. Harris, E3, and Yes, NCAA 2009

Impressions from NCAA 2009 will be slowing down due to E3 prep work. I leave for the show Monday and will be back early as hell on Friday. Landing at 6AM. Woo. Hoo. My time with NCAA, as you may have guessed, has been a roller coaster ride that I am happy to have been able to share with all of you--even those who were convinced I didn't have the game until I posted those pics. My imagination just ain't that good, fellas.

In checking the referral log we've been getting hits from standards like Operation Sports, the IGN boards, NCAA Strategies, FOF Central and more. We've also been getting people from Michigan blogs (curse you Brakke) and a few of the Ohio State boards -- even people from NC State have dropped by. Damn it..I forgot to put up the Google Ads! There goes $20.

I have tried to be as honest as I can about the game, what works, and what doesn't. But if I had to return the game and then decide whether or not to buy it, I'd be in line just like the rest of you, forking over my $60 and change.

I stated when we really started to get into the game that it's the most fun I have had with NCAA since the 2004 version, and I still very much believe that to still be true despite some of the issues that have popped up. I hate the QB simmed stats, and the lack of a real CPU deep passing attack, the occasional CPU Ghost Juke, Miami(OH) playing for a title, and the abysmal kicking game. (And I still don't know why the Vanishing Stat thing happens.)

But for me the pros outweigh the cons. There's a lot of variety, the deep ball isn't a money play anymore, I can easily tell the difference between teams of varying talent even on Heisman, the INT issue from last year is fixed (with sliders), the Quick Calling for recruits makes it so much easier (was that in last year's game?), dropped passes seem perfect this year and the games are proving a challenge...especially with a team like Ball State! 2-6 baby!

I'm still excited to start our online 2-Star Only Dynasty. Yes Todd -- 2 stars and under. Does Michigan qualify? ZING!

Finally, my good friend Bill Harris posted an interesting bit of info that is worth reading. Anything dubbed the Great Horn of Bullshit is at least worth a cursory look.

Oh, and yeah for those that asked: Ashley made it through Operation Braces unscathed. I do love that pic, though.