Friday, June 26, 2009

Transformers 2 Is An Art Movie

This may be the single best movie review I’ve ever read:

Critical consensus on Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen is overwhelmingly negative. But the critics are wrong. Michael Bay used a squillion dollars and a hundred supercomputers' worth of CG for a brilliant art movie about the illusory nature of plot.

That’s the lead. Whether you are interested in the movie or not, the rest is worth taking ten minutes of your time to read. The line that will be with me forever, though, is this one:

And Sam's parents go to France except that they meet a robot and then they're in Egypt.

I can’t even put my finger on why, but I read that line and I giggle. You know, in a manly way. At this point I don’t even care how bad the film is, I have to see this. I have to see just how far down the rabbit hole it goes. (Won’t be seeing it this weekend, unfortunately. Hopefully at some point later in July.)