Saturday, December 13, 2008

Left 4 Dead Guide, GOTY, and Fallout 3 The Football Engine?

We have a good guide by Tony Mitera up at GShark right now. If you're into this game (I need to get this still..) get the printer ready and run this off. In fact, my plan is to get Billy Baroo, Todd and Brandon together after the holidays for some 4 player Xbox 360 Left 4 Dead zombie killing action. Todd doesn't know this is my plan. But that is in fact my plan. But anyway Tony's guide is very good so give it a look.

I'm still slogging through Fallout 3. I hit level 13 last night and the main storyline is starting to pick up. I still have a love/hate relationship with this game, and I didn't put it in my top 3 games of the year when surveyed by Crispy Gamer this past week and I think I have played it enough to decide. Top 5 game? Yeah. I do like it a lot, mostly. But I have to admit I had more fun with Saints Row 2, Warhammer Online, and Rock Band 2. Two Xbox 360 games and an MMO.

Weird, weird year, 2008.

A lot of people in that contributor survey loved Dead Space, which if you recall I "sorta" finished -- I got to the final battle, it royally pissed me off, and I quit. I liked Dead Space, glad I played it, but I don't believe it's GOTY material and I definitely don't think it's "scary". Startling? Yeah it's that. Scary? After an hour that feeling sorta wears off. Did for me, anyway. Prince of Persia almost made my list but in the end it's just too easy and a shade too short. Still worth playing though. Really fun game.

No sports games made my list even though I thoroughly enjoyed NHL 09, NFL Head Coach, FIFA 09, MLB 08 The Show, OOTP and a few others. Sports games, to me, have officially hit the wall.

Although I do have an idea how sports developers could use Fallout 3's combat engine and tweak it for use in a football game and I think it would be a pretty novel idea. This idea came to me the minute I first saw Fallout 3 at a trade show. I recall telling Bill Harris about this and his reaction was, "Great idea -- that you'll never ever see happen." After playing F3 I think now more than ever that it could work.

He's prolly right, though. I should write that up so you could all laugh at me.

NCAA 09 will make my top 5 Disappointments, though. That's becoming a yearly award I think.

I'm still receiving entries from the GameShark staff on our GOTY awards and they should be up end of next week...or so.

Dead Space will not win.