Friday, May 23, 2008

Assorted Links

Sorry for the lack of posts this week. Between my daughter getting sick (she had a 103.5 temp) on Tuesday, and then she had a 1st grade musical last night -- she's had a busy week and in between all of that I've had to take care of her by watching movies with her. Tough job, but I'm usually up for it. We're also knee deep in Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Boom Blox.

She was a bit bummed because she had an actual part in the musical but she missed rehearsal due to her fever so she was placed in the front row of the chorus. Still, she had a lot of fun and to see her sing these songs with such enthusiasm...I really enjoy being a dad.

I still haven't had time to try Conan yet. That is on the radar, though. Also on the radar is the upcoming Alone in the Dark "sequel" that is set for release on June 24. I sent a writer out to San Fran last week to get a look at the game and he came away with a really cool report that I posted last night on GameShark. Really neat ideas, check it out.

Also we posted the next chapter in our There Will Be Games saga. I still find this a fascinating story.

Our latest "Indie Chat" was posted this week, this time talking with Adam Ryland, developer of wrestling sims for Grey Dog.

As for me, I'm wading through Twilight of the Arnor and XII Century, a Total War-like clone that doesn't quite stack up to the Creative Assembly games, but it's not a total waste of time, either. Reviews are forthcoming.

Finally, I've been a trading machine of late, moving out old boardgames that I know I'll never play and getting some new goodies in return. That is the best thing about Board Game Geek -- the trade feature. Just in the last week or so I have landed copies of:

Combat Commander: Europe
The Last Night on Earth (Zombies!!)
Manoeuvre
Return of the Heroes
Blackbeard

We're planning a big zombie game night soon. That's always a plus.

Speaking of zombies, I finally saw 28 Weeks later the other night. (OK technically not a "zombie" movie) Reviews were pretty good for this sequel and I just don't get it. It doesn't compare to the original and is full of so many "that's just plain dumb" moments that even for a horror movie...was bad.

Lastly -- this weekend is Indiana weekend. Anyone seen it yet?

BTW -- back to an earlier discussion -- Temple of Doom gets a very bad (and more than a bit unfair) rap, even with diehards. That movie isn't THAT bad.