Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Some More Beatles Rock Band Fun

If you’ve been on any game site in the last 24 hours you’ve probably already seen this, but I’m going to embed it here anyway because it’s just too damned fun to watch:

How could anyone not want to play this game after watching that? I’m not even a huge Beatles fan and I’m absolutely salivating to get my hands on this thing. I just have to figure out where I’m going to get the money to get the $250 premium edition (daddy needs a new set of drums and a new plastic axe).

Next, is something I found via Jeff Green’s Twitter feed (@Greenspeak): It’s a video from the site Gamervision that looks at the Beatles Rock Band intro video “frame-by-frame” (it’s not literally that) to point out every little reference in the video to Beatles history and fandom. I’m not sure what’s crazier, that Harmonix put all these subtle nods to The Beatles into the video in the first place or the fact that this person was able to go through and pick them all out. Anyway, it’s worth seven minutes of your life to watch.

Easter egg hunt aside, that is just such a great intro. One of the things you have to give to Harmonix is that when they produce a Rock Band game (or the first two Guitar Hero games) there is such obvious love of music at the core of their work. I mean you just cannot produce something like this Beatles intro without a real love of Beatles lore. It’s a big reason why they’re so much better at this than Activision/Neversoft.