Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Marc-Andre Fleury: I Hate You

Do the Pens not understand that last night's game was supposed to be a coronation? Did they not get the memo? Does their goalie, Marc-Andre Fleury, not understand that if the puck doesn't reach the back of the net that the Wings don't get the goals they need to win? I mean what the f#@? It's cats and dogs living together out there on the ice. MASS HYSTERIA!!!

In all seriousness, you have to tip your hat to the Pens. I'm not saying I think they deserved to win last night. I don't think they did. After a shoddy first period the Wings pretty much owned the rest of the game, especially the 3rd period and the first overtime. Fleury flat out stole the game.

I've got to say how glad I am the game wasn't decided on either of those phantom goalie interference calls the Wings got tagged with in the first two OTs. I really don't want to hear another Penguin gripe about not getting calls after that fiasco. That said, the final 4-minute penalty to Hudler, that lead to the Pens' game winner had to be called. It wasn't an intentional stick to the face, but he did it and it probably cost the Wings the game. Though, after about 10 minutes of overtime you had to know it had the feel of a game that just wouldn't go the Wings way, no matter what.

I'd try to sum up what it feels like, as a fan, to watch that unfold, but the On The Wings blog already pretty much nailed it. I got very little sleep last night as the number 34.7 flashed in my head over and over again. It was so bad my dreams were filled with visions of Fleury stopping golden opportunities. I can't even imagine what it's like for the players.

I so wanted to see the Wings hoist the cup on home ice. Now it's back to Pittsburgh, where I think we'll see a Winged fury unleashed for Game 6.

At least, I hope so.