Thursday, September 10, 2009

Beatles

I finished story mode last night around 6.

5 straight hours of singing and playing guitar. As a HUGE Beatles fan, games just don't get any better than this.

I'm not "outraged!" by the way GH5 treated Cobain and Cash and Santana. Outrage isn't the right word. I just think it's really, really, dumb.

Harmonix made this game a celebration of the Beatles music and career and when playing that last set on the rooftop -- I got a weird feeling of sadness because I knew it was almost over.

I have two quibbles:

1) The setlist is, IMO, a bit short. It's a CliffsNotes version of the Beatles songbook. SO many great songs aren't here (yet) When I saw the final setlist I was dismayed -- no She Said, She Said, no Rain, no Penny Lane, no Rock and Roll Music, no Love Me Do, no Roll Over Beethoven and No I'm Down!! (Damn I love that song)-- you can go on for about another 100 songs.

Let It Be...

Lovely Rita...

A Day in the Life

Anyway.

2) I was playing online with Todd last night and I guess you can't play "as" the Beatles -- meaning you can't have one person on drums, two guitars, and a bass. Not a huge deal, but I'd think a game about The Beatles would allow every instrument to be played and I can't see how to do that.

Otherwise: Brilliant.