Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sports Game Malaise?

Do you have it?

I have it.

We're working on a feature where all staff members talk about their top 5 games for 2009. I read Todd's and he said, "MLB '09: This is the only sports franchise left in gaming with which I'm not utterly bored."

I thought about that for a bit. Then thought some more. I can still recognize great games and bad ones, but as far as really wanting to dig deep into a sports game -- yeah MLB 09 is about it. NHL is a great franchise but I dunno...after reviewing it I sorta shelved it. I loved NFL Head Coach (mostly)but I REALLY doubt we see a new version of that.

I'm tired of NCAA promises. I'm tired of Madden, MLB 2K, the NBA 2K, NBA Live, right down the line. It took a long time but I'm there. Sports game burnout.

Even OOTP -- a game I adore, I didn't play the latest version nearly as much as the previous ones. I just feel I have been there and done that. I think I could be reignited into sports gaming if the games warranted that. But I don't g=think they do. At least not yet. There is not 1 spiorts game on my top 5 2009 list. I thought about adding MLB 09 but Dragon Age, Empire Total War, Dawn of War II? It's not even close. NCAA 2010 or Empire TW? Uh...

So we'll see. Maybe it's just a phase. or maybe I have finally grown a bit tired of basically playing the same games for the past 7 or 8 years.

And with that I sit here looking at the 2K Front Office Manager box...and I'd rather play the Dawn of War II multiplayer Beta...