Wednesday, January 7, 2009

More Boardgames Coming to XBLA

And here's the list:

Boggle, Battleship, Yahtzee, Connect Four, Sorry! and Sorry! Sliders will begin to roll out in Spring 2009.

Yip. Eee.

Look, I like a good kid's game as much as anyone because I have a kid. That helps. And I love Catan on XBLA. Ticket to Ride remains a decent time killer. Lost Cities has crap AI and you need to play that against another human. Carcassonne's not bad either.

But Connect Four? Really?

Aren't those games best played with your kid...at a table? Will people actually play Connect Four with their kid on XBL?

The reason why so many boardgamers were happy to see Catan on XBLA was because finding players is tough. If you don't have a regular game group, getting together to play a BG is a bitch.

Hey dad -- pay the $10 and buy a copy of SORRY. Set it up with the kid. Face to face time, dad. Get the 360 controller out of his hand and play a tangible game. I doubt 7 year old Sally is living across town so you're forced to go the XB Live route.

All of these great licenses and great boardgames that you know the pubs would love to see ported to Xbox 360 format, and we're back to Sorry? The plus here is that Sorry Sliders is pretty cool. But I dunno how well it will translate.

What about the XBLA version of Railroad Tycoon...or even the BG version of Age of Empires III? Or Nexus Ops? That would translate VERY well I think. Pandemic would, too. Lots would.
I want a XBLA version of Tigris and Euphrates so I can figure out how the damn thing works.

I know that these Hasbro games will get a lot of people to say, "Hey look -- it's Sorry! And BOGGLE! and Battleship!! I doubt people would impulse buy Nexus Ops. (They should. It's great.)

But throw us boardgamers a bone, guys.

9 comments:

Jonah Falcon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jonah Falcon said...

Um, Bill? You forgot the biggest title: Scrabble.

bill abner said...

I didn't see Scrabble listed.

Scrabble's a fantastic game -- I'll play that one for sure.

Rob said...

Whatever happened to all the cool games that were supposed to be coming to XBLA? I know Alhambra and Puerto Rico were in the works some time back and both got canceled. Instead we get a slew of mostly garbage titles? Yes, Sorry! Sliders was a great surprise, but on XBLA? On the Wii I would at least be able to somewhat justify it. And how much will this cost on XBLA? Probably 10 bucks? For twice that you can go get the real thing.

It boggles my mind how cool XBLA could be if they got some REAL boardgames(besides Catan and Carc which I love). How about Memoir 44 and/or Battlelore? You mentioned Pandemic and I agree. How about Formula D? The expansion possibilities for later add-on to that game are great with new tracks. Being a Strat-O-Matic fan from way back I would definitely love to see those on XBLA, particularly SOM Football(VERY wishful thinking). That would make for some great online contests. What about the immensely popular Agricola? I admit I'm not crazy about that game, but it's one of the most popular board games out there now amongst the board gaming community. I guess it comes down to name recognition. I'll bet UNO has outsold Catan on Xbox Live by about 50 downloads to 1 or more. I could be wrong on those numbers, who knows, they don't release them. But UNO spent a long time as a top 10 XBLA download.

By the way, what ever happened to Tide of Iron on XBLA? It was announced some time ago and I've heard nothing else since. I've never played it, but it looks like it would be great to play on XBLA if done right..and it would take away the set up for what looks like to be a bear of a game to get started. Also, what about Battleball..that got mentioned some time ago too. It seems these games get announced and then just fall into the development abyss somewhere along the way.

Jonah Falcon said...

Um, Bill? The press release is titled:

EA Delivers Scrabble to Every Major Digital Platform in 2009 and Brings Hasbro Family Favorite Board Game Experiences to Xbox LIVE Arcade

I don't see how you missed that. LOL

Jonah Falcon said...

"Whatever happened to all the cool games that were supposed to be coming to XBLA?"

They came out during the Summer.

Alhambra was cancelled. Puerto Rico was just a rumor.

bill abner said...

I'm just a fucking idiot Jonah, sorry.

Rob -- yeah I dunno. I can check on Tide of Iron. I can have Barnes talk to the folks at FFG about that.

I think any of the C&C games would work GREAT on XBLA. Ancients, BattleLore, Memoir...even the Civil War game. That system seems like a perfect fit. I'd think a fantasy game like BLore or the WWII angle would sell.

I'm surprised that the only Reiner game thus far is Lost Cities (or is there another?) Tigris & Euphrates and even other abstracts like RA, Ivanhoe, Ingenious, those all would make for good XBL conversions.

But I can't wait for Connect Four! Woo hoo!

srudoff said...

these games are already available for the wii - something like hasbro family night - i think it's been out for a while

Jonah Falcon said...

"I'm just a fucking idiot Jonah, sorry."

Actually, no, you're not Bill.

On CGC, I discovered there was another press release that omitted any reference to Scrabble.

I don't know why they issued two press releases, one OMITTING Scrabble:

http://casualgamerchick.com/2009/01/07/hasbro-branded-games-coming-to-xbox-live/

And one INCLUDING Scrabble:

http://www.gamestooge.com/2009/01/07/ea-bringing-hasbro-games-to-xbox-live-arcade/