Friday, March 5, 2010

MLB 2K10

This is one weird game.

I have taken a 2 year hiatus from 2K (Todd did those reviews) so I admit I was anxious to see what the franchise was like after playing The Show.

After a few games and a quick franchise check...I miss The Show. I'll talk more about this later but there is something I cannot quite put my finger on yet but something about the game is

Maybe it's the herky-jerky speed up/slow down animations or the fact that the ball feels "dead" to me like the game was set in 1906. Maybe it's that I can't figure out how to steal a base, or do a double switch or that the game gave a hitter a base hit on a wild throw to first from the pitcher.

As for franchise mode um...where are the Free Agents? They *all* re-signed? Seriously? Hey I'm all for Reserve Clause baseball but the game should at least tell me up front, eh?

I also *hate* the batting mechanic with the right stick flick because you cannot check swing. Seriously, in what baseball game universe can you not check swing? I think I need to use an old school control scheme or something.

I did walk three times in one game and even walked FOUR batters myself -- that was pretty darn sweet. And hittes do take strikes which was a big complaint Todd had last year.

But this game feels odd.

Of course The Show this year seems to have its own set of weird is as weird does.


Kevin said...

Hey Bill,

I've been on hiatus from this series, too, but so far, I'm liking this version.

I believe the check swing is being "patched" in the near future (think I read it on a forum somewhere).

I had hundreds of FA's available at the start of my franchise. Are you talking about at the start, or at the start of year 2?


bill abner said...

Year 2