Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Historical Fact: This is the Single Best Trailer Ever!

It’s interesting how the brain works sometimes. For the last week I’ve been making comparisons between Mass Effect 2 and Wing Commander and, completely separate to this, also was recently involved in a conversation about movie trailers. The combination of the two reminded me of something I hadn’t thought of for at least a decade: The Wing Commander 4 trailer. And not just any Wing Commander 4 trailer, but one that specifically shipped on a CD accompanying a copy of Computer Gaming World back in the day. So naturally I Googled it and… well, let’s just say I well and truly love YouTube sometimes.

Here now, this cheesetastically awesome trailer for Wing Commander 4. Just watching this makes me want to hop into the virtual cockpit of a Rapier or even a Scimitar.

“You're gonna wish you never met me.”

“I already do.”

Oh, Mark, go on with your bad self. I’d almost forgotten Biff from Back to the Future played Maniac in the third and fourth game. (Was he in #5?) Love it.

8 comments:

Loren said...

Yes, both Mark Hamill and Tom Wilson are in Wing Commander Prophecy, set a decade after the events of Wing Commander IV.

Christopher Blair's callsign is finally solidified as Maverick as well.

Mass Effect/Wing Commander connection: there was a ship named Cerberus in Prophecy.

todd brakke said...

Tom Wilson, that's right! I completely spaced on his name and was too lazy to go look him up on imdb.

I did remember Hamill was in V (even though you no longer play as Blair), but for the life of me can't remember Wilson in it. Not that I really remember anything from that game except Blair getting kidnapped at the end. :)

Loren said...

Maniac momentarily took command of the squad (a promotion), but then decided it was too much stress so he made himself a wingman again.

bill abner said...

You all frighten me

Brandon said...

As cheesy as that trailer was, it was still a thousand times better than the Wing Commander movie. God I loved these games and then the Freespace games. Oh to relive the glorious days of the space fighter sim.

Shinino Kage said...

Man, someone needs to make a spaceflight sim based on BSG.

Set it during the first Cylon War, even, if you really wanted something new.

todd brakke said...

I would be all over a BSG game in the style of WC... would force me to buy a decent flightstick, though. (Been a long time since I owned one of those.)

Mike in the D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.