Thursday, January 3, 2008

Browns Thoughts

I never got a chance to talk about this over the break, but the Browns failure to make the playoffs didn't upset me at all.

How could it?

This is a team that everyone predicted would go 3-13. Even in my "My team is never THAT BAD" mind I didn't see any way we'd win more than 6 games. After the opener against Pittsburgh when the Browns were beaten to a pulp...3 games looked like a stretch.

Then they traded Frye, gave Anderson the confidence that he needed and the Browns finished the year 10-5. Now, I'm a realist. There's no way Cleveland would have gotten past New England or the Colts and likely would have lost to San Diego in round 1 -- Cleveland beat ONE good team this year (Seattle) and 9 other stiffs. It's as weak a schedule as you can get in the NFL but the Browns still won 10 games, and tied for the division lead. I don't care who they played. Plus, this is a YOUNG team. The future is very bright in Cleveland, or at least as bright as it has been since the team came back in '99.

So when the Colts laid down and let the Titans get into the playoffs, I wasn't mad. I expected that -- even though I do think the Browns would beat the Titans and are the better team, they lost to Oakland and then laid a huge egg in Cincy with a playoff spot on the line so the Browns only have themselves to blame.

But this was a FUN year to be a Browns fan. They have an EXCITING TEAM. In CLEVELAND!
They are certain to have damn good players in next year's Madden.

I can see it now: Madden '09: Game of the Year!