Thursday, January 31, 2008

Big News from the World of Gozer

The Traveller Has Come!

Anyway.

I was recently promoted to EiC at GameShark; my official start date for the new job is Monday. Not much will really change aside from technical stuff. But it is a nice pay upgrade and I'll have free reign to do what I want, which may or may not be a good thing. We'll see.

GameShark is an odd animal. I think the writing is solid (for the most part). I like the staff we assembled over there and I love our columns from Mike's Cracked LCD boardgame column to Brandon's Mr. Binky rants to Dan's weekly download recaps. And traffic has continued to take an upswing since last spring. So things are good from that standpoint.

My goal for 2008, as far as Shark is concerned, is to help make it more of an editorial player. No small feat, though. It's incredibly difficult running a commercial website that isn't based in California. It would be easier in fact if we were a specialized site. I mean I love the guys at GameSpy, I really do; they're great people and know their business as well as anyone in the industry. But when you are surrounded by game companies in the San Fran area, it helps with getting coverage. We can't compete with that.

It's going to be a slow process, I think, but we'll do what we can with the resources that we have. We're going to try to come up with more interesting features this year, which I think is one way to combat our other limitations. Either that, or go with nudity.