Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Oh No! Ebert Says Games Aren’t Art!

So gamers around the Internet are irate that Ebert is again insisting that games are not art. First of all, it would be nice if we poor oppressed gamers could get a grip (those of us screaming the loudest I mean). So Ebert says games aren’t art. I had a step-grandmother who, at one point, thought I was a head of cabbage. People say things. It doesn’t have to matter.

Gabe (Penny Arcade) has it pretty much nailed:

Of course video games are art. They are nothing but art. They are art piled on top of more art.

...

So Ebert says games aren't art. That does not make it true. I say games are art and last time I checked, I was beating Michelle Obama, Oprah and Taylor swift in Time's 100 most influential people list.

Game. Set. Match.

The thing is, I read the article in question and aside from some really bad logic and arrogant statements there’s not much to be in a huff over. The guy has an opinion and a newspaper company willing to print it. Let it go. Next week he’ll write something most people agree with and they’ll all proclaim him a critical genius.