Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ultima Lives! Except Not Really.

Spotted this piece at Rock, Paper, Shotgun noting that we’re about to get a new Ultima-branded game. Unfortunately, it’s a browser-based, multiplayer strategy game. On its own merits, who knows? It could prove to be interesting. But sticking the Ultima name on it pisses me off.

Longtime readers know of my love for Ultima. Games like Ultima IV and V and the Sierra “Quest” games are what made me a PC gaming fan. Ultima VII remains an all-time favorite of mine to this day and I don't care to see the brand diminished even further with some throw-away title.

On the other hand, there's always hope that this is a flyer to see what sort of cachet the Ultima brand still has. Maybe if the game does reasonably well EA will consider resurrecting the franchise (preferably from scratch; the world does not need Ultima X). To be honest, though, I’m not sure I want them to. The time of Ultima has come and gone and it’s probably best left to fond memory.